Saturday, May 19, 2007

Fore!

So... I'm once again attempting to learn to golf, for the first time (for real) since about age 7. Back in the day, I had a cute set of golf clubs and a pink golf bag and I was a member of the "Zero holers" golf group at the local golf club in Mequon. I was a little Tigerette Woods in training.... ha. However, at my young age, golf didn't seem as interesting as soccer, baseball, swimming, and all of the other summer activities I was into. Thus, I somehow got off the golf train. Anyhow, it didn't bother me much to not be a golfer until the end of high school, when I realized that golf was actually a pretty cool sport, and I had no skills.

So, I signed up this spring term for golf. Four times a week, (and I only get 0.5 credits for this class), I go to the small putting green and practice area near the tennis courts at BYU and practice with my fellow novice golfers. It's been a lot of fun! My teacher, Garrett, is really cool, and I've definitely made some friends in the class. It's funny, I'm hearing a similar background story... "I wanted to be able to play with my dad/husband/friends...." and here we all are, excited, maybe for the first time, and despite our earlier lack of interest in the sport, about golf!

I'm finally taking up one of those "adult" sports... you know, the ones in the class with tennis, jogging, lawn bowling, fishing... the sports that you can do without developing large bruises and without needing a team of 10 to play with. I used to find those sports boring, but now I'm realizing that it's not easy to gather 10 people to play soccer with, and sometimes, I'm not in the mood to come home bruised and exhausted (even though I love soccer/basketball/etc.). And... I think that whole aspect of enjoying the walking and being outside part of golf is more appealing, since you can talk with people while you play and enjoy the outside without running around all the time.

Anyway, we went for the first time to play the executive course with members of the class at The Reserve at East Bay. It's one of those courses where you play 9 holes and all of them are par 3 or 4. I got a 56 on 9 holes, haha, not exactly impressive. But, the girls I golfed with and I had fun! One of them was a girl who was actually an RA when I was a freshman in Taylor Hall, and we haven't run into each other in at least 3 or 4 years, but we both happen to still be at BYU and are in the same class. The other girl is from Mexico and she's on the tennis team at BYU. She definitely kicked our trash, since her tennis skills totally help her in golf. She also had the cutest ways of expressing her golf "anger"... instead of American sounding moans or "Shoot!" or whatever someone would say, she said "Aye!" and "No manches!" (which means "no way") and "A huevo!" (meaning literally, "To the egg!" but it translates to a cheer or expression like "yeah!"). We definitely enjoyed picking up on new ways to show our frustration or excitement with some new slang.

So, that's a little on my golf adventures. Next weekend, Dad and Mom are coming into town, and Dad and I will be going golfing, where I'll really get to test my new skills with a more experienced golfer. A huevo!

No comments: