Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bloody Foot Syndrome Returns

So, way back when, I wrote on the blog about how I walked around Madrid in my new shoes and got really bloody feet. I had to go to a pharmacy and buy a bunch of band-aids and sit on a curb and wipe my feet down in front of crowds of people. Then, to avoid further damage, I had to wear white running socks under my dress shoes for the rest of the night.

I had a relapse last weekend.

I went to meet up with an old roommate, Sarah, and her boyfriend, friends from church in Milwaukee, up in Salt Lake City. We ate lunch in The Garden Room, this good restaurant on the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. Afterwards, we walked around Temple Square a bit and then went to get a tour of the Beehive House, Brigham Young's House. As we walked in to start the tour, done by two friendly sister missionaries, I bumped my foot against a wooden pew. It looked like it would be ok, although it had sliced my toe a bit. Ten minutes later, my toe was bleeding profusely, creating a pool of blood on my flip-flop. I tried to ignore it, but I was afraid of getting blood on the historic carpet! I didn't want to have to explain that one to the prophet someday. Anyhow, I had to interrupt the tour and one of the sister missionaries took me to get some tissue paper to wipe my foot down. As I walked out, the fellow tour participants gave me sympathetic smiles and comments, "Wow, those benches must have been hard!" Um, slightly embarrassing. Anyhow, I hope I don't have any more incidents! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did that one my sophomore year of college!! Only it was on the back of the chair in the hallway lounge. thought I just stubbed it and put an ice pack on it and didn't realize it was bleeding until I picked up the ice pack and it was covered in what looked like ketchup. had to wear sandals for about a week because it hurt so much!

we're sisters in feet!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. One summer at girls' camp, we were rained out and had to stay at the Stake Center. Since our shoes were all muddy, they made us leave them in the entry way. I was running out to get something, and I opened that heavy metal door right on my toes. I actually broke my toenail and started bleeding all over the place.

I was like, 15, maybe, and I went and found a first aid kid and started dressing this bloody toe. The Stake YW President, a long time family friend, found me and said I was a hypochondriac.

Um... did she want to throw away the piece of my toenail that broke off or should I?

Fun times in foot injury land... :\