Sunday, March 23, 2008

Out of the time capsule

By request I'm posting a poem that I wrote in first grade. Keep in mind, these were the days when rhyming was the only thing I knew to do in poetry. My friends Abby and Leslie memorized the poem in high school and would occasionally recite it (with lots of laughter) at lunch :-) I remember writing this poem in pencil on the pink paper of my Lisa Simpson diary. Ahem:

The ground is frozen, the grass is cold.
The cheese I am holding is covered with mold.
I hate the word "sick" and I hate the word "ill."
The words "sick" and "ill" just give me the chill!
Do you like the words "sick" and "ill"?
Do they, do they, give you the chill?
My heart is beating very slow,
I see it, Do you see it? 
Do you see the snow?

To this day, I have no idea what it means. I think I must have read some Dr. Seuss before I wrote this one :-) 

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I LOVE it! Ah. . . sweet high school memories! I bet us English majors could find some meaning in this poem. I'll think about it and get back to you! I was laughing as I read the poem. . . just so you know!

*Abby* said...

thanks so much... I was trying to recite it to Devn but was laughing/crying so hard that he had no idea what I was even saying! Well, here's my analysis... You were tired of living in the frozen north... the arm pit... the wasteland. The cold, the frozen, the cheese, all signs of home. You were just a little depressed at the time. GOod thing you snapped out of it!

Unknown said...

From one poet to another, I am VERY impressed! It's got more meaning than meets the eye and thats what makes a great poem! Its like the one I wrote about horses when I was 10. Kinda deep and the words didnt all go together, but it had a meaning all its own. :) I'll have to show it to you sometime! :) Kudos! :D