Friday, November 10, 2006

Retiro Park - A Haven in the City

Some pictures from Retiro Park outings:


Sara studying in the park one day when we had a picnic.


The gardens are amazing.


Sara, Dan, Chey and Caley when we had a picnic a month or so back. Chey brought some wine and chocolate (don't worry, I just had the chocolate!) and we relaxed on some towels (we don't have blankets) and talked and studied.


Today, Jeannette, Marisa, Luis, and I went to Retiro to show Jeannette and Marisa (my Milwaukee friends!) around. You would never guess it was Nov. 10... it was sunny and warm and a perfect day. Here Marisa took a shot of Luis and I when we all ate some tortilla de patata (Spanish omelette) and some sandwiches at a cafe in the park. Notice Luis has just a t-shirt on!! It must have been in the 60s for a while today... according to Marisa and Jeannette, Wisconsin is very cold right now. I must say, this weather is preferable!

One of the many beautiful fountains in the park. I decided today that if I ever run for president... I'm going to create a law to promote more fountains. :-)


Marisa, Jeannette, and I in front of the pond in the center of the park. You can't see it, but there were people boating around on row boats...

So, El Parque de Buen Retiro ("Retreat/Seclusion Park") was originally royal land... and it was later opened up for all of the public to enjoy. It is HUGE... think Central Park in NYC... and it has tons of pathways and trees and statues and fountains and flowers and accordian players and little dogs and people.... I got excited when I heard birds chirping as we walked in the park. I guess I hear "wildlife" less than I realize! I see dogs all the time, but beyond that... not a lot. Anyhow, Retiro is my little wilderness in the middle of the city!

No comments: