Monday, November 27, 2006

Strasbourg!

I went to Strasbourg, France this weekend to visit my cousin, Andrew. We had great weather and I got to see a LOT in 2.5 days! Here are some pictures from the weekend:


Here are Andrew and I at the top of this observation tower in Kehl, Germany. Kehl and Strasbourg are neighbor cities on the Reine River... which is the border between France and Germany. The view was amazing...


Of course, being from Milwaukee, we had to eat bratwurst in Kehl! It was GOOD... and I'm not always a huge bratwurst fan.


Here is a view of the Reine from the observation tower. To the left is Strasbourg (France), and to the right is Kehl (Germany). To the far right (farther than the picture shows) is the Black Forrest.


Strasbourg is known for their Christmas markets... they are in the town squares, and they consist of lots of booths and tents like this filled with vendors of candles, Christmas ornaments, chocolate, jewelry, etc.! It was so fun to walk around there, especially at night... there were LOTS of people.


I thought this was funny... in the Euroairport in Basel, Switzerland... you can enter either France, Germany, or Switzerland... from the airport! Crazy, huh? Here's the France/Germany exit.


The Christmas lights were everywhere... and it really made the city look like a Christmas fairy-tale. In the backround is the Strasbourg Cathedral.


Here's the Switzerland exit!!

It was a fast, but great weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to Strasbourg earlier in the semester when I could have stayed longer due to high flight prices... but it turned out well to come this weekend, and it was especially fun to see all the Christmas stuff!

Basically, I spent the weekend hanging out and catching up with Andrew, one of my Milwaukee cousins who is studying at the University in Strasbourg. I got to see the campus, meet some of his school friends, bike over to Germany (it's only about a 20 minute bike ride, hehe), check out the city, and relax. It was fun to stay with Andrew and see his apartment there... and I got to watch movies for the first time this semester on his computer! I finally can say I've seen "What About Bob?" and it was hilarious. It was probably the most laid-back of my trips this semester, and that was great...

A few things I will remember about Strasbourg: eating amazing pastries and food in general(baguette flambee, apple streusel tart, banana/nutella crepe...), walking around at sunset with the Christmas lights and the roasted chestnut vendors, biking to Germany, and just spending hours talking about anything and everything with my cousin!

Only about 3 weeks left in Europe! I can't believe it. I am already sad to think of leaving...


No comments: