Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Some things change for the better.

So, the BYU library closes at midnight, and at 11:45 P.M., they begin to play "exit" music. For my first two years at BYU, it was always the same song: Oh When the Saints Go Marching In.... and then that song from the "Beef: It's What's For Dinner" commercials. I found the Oh When the Saints a bit obnoxious, probably because often I was dozing when it suddenly would come blasting over the loud speakers.

Upon coming back to BYU this semester, I guess I assumed the same music would be playing at 11:45. However, it's changed. And... both times I was in the library at 11:45, there were DIFFERENT songs playing! Oh boy! They're mixing it up in the library! I'm wondering if perhaps the workers were starting to have nervous breakdowns due to the monotony of it all.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying the new variety of library exit music... it's always instrumental, but I'm pretty sure they played the "Star Wars" theme one of the recent times I was there. I'd much rather be woken up to that. Or better yet, I might try not having to stay in the library till midnight at all!

Anyhow, it's nice to know that there is some stability in my BYU experience... library music, lovey-dovey couples walking around (I didn't necessarily miss that though), those really good wraps in the Cougareat, ward prayer on Sunday nights...

Oh, and one other improvement! The Varsity Theater has begun to show regular movies again. Basically, they show stuff that is in the dollar theaters... The Prestige, Happy Feet, etc. But, before they only showed international films, so I'm glad that I can enjoy a nice movie now and then at my leisure.

Well, I'm off to class. School is CRAZY busy right now!

3 comments:

Unprofessional Chef said...

Two friends of mine once dressed up in full ballroom dance attire and waltzed their way out of the library at 11:45. Needless to say, I didn't proclaim loudly that I knew them.

Anonymous said...

just randome bit of info...the beef..it's what for dinner music is from Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man"

and movies are good...Prestige will keep your attention til the end!!

Tracy said...

Mmm... Beef.

Lauren, you make me feel almost like I know what you're talking about in your blogs. The U of U had no such thing as 'Exit Music' that I ever experienced. Nobody hangs out at the library that late. (By 'nobody,' I'm making the blanket assumption that everyone does exactly what I do.)

Miss you. Enjoy Provo.