Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sundance Film Festival


The Egyptian, where we saw the film.


A random dressed-up moose that we saw as we were walking on Main St.


Waiting for the film to start.


The Q&A with the film crew after the screening.

So, I finally made it to the Sundance Film Festival in Park City! That was one of my things-to-do-before-I-graduate-and-possibly-leave-Utah list. We didn't see any movie stars, sadly, although we did look at every passing limo or Escalade to see if someone famous would pop out.

It was FREEZING as we walked up and down Main St., stopping in shops and in an art gallery. One of the coolest parts was watching a group of guys play the violin and guitar... they played Irish jigs and were REALLY good.

The film was interesting... um, very "colorful" language (for that reason, I don't think I'd see it again), but a great human interest story. It was a documentary about a heavy metal band called Anvil that was once sort of famous but never really took off. The film followed the lives of two of the band members who have performed ever since... despite their lack of fame. It was actually a touching story in a lot of ways... these middle-aged rockers were rough around the edges, but you knew that they were softies at heart and not as tough as their music would suggest.

It was cool to listen to the Q&A with the film crew afterwards-the film was directed by a guy who was a roadie with the band back in the 80's. One of the best things he said, "After seeing this movie, we had couples in their sixties coming to buy Anvil cds, just to support the guys." Imagining a couple in their sixties buy a heavy metal cd makes me smile, hehe.

To sum up: It was fun... definitely a little pricey of an experience (I think the movie ticket was $18 and with parking and gas from the hour-ish drive... it added up), but I think if I went again someday I would buy tickets as far in advance as possible and research the movies really well to make sure it would be interesting/good/worth the money. I'm glad that I had a chance to do this while I'm still in Utah!

2 comments:

Digital Daguerreotypist said...

You went to Sundance the wrong day!! apparently Mraz is doing/maybe already did an acoustic show...

yes, I've proven yet again that I'm a dork!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... No blog posts in a little while, eh?

I challenge you to a blog-off! :)