Monday, August 04, 2008

The BYU 11th Ward Mixed Doubles Tennis Tournament

Back in June, my friend Jordan and I participated in a BYU intramural mixed doubles tournament. We got out pretty much right away (I'm really no good at tennis), but it was surprisingly a lot of fun! I say surprisingly because traditionally, I have not been particularly drawn to tennis. However, since I took a tennis class at BYU last summer, I have started to see how this sport has become so popular. It's something you can play when you're older, it's social, it's fun, and you don't need a huge team to play.

Anyhow, after the intramural tournament, Jordan and I decided to organize a mixed doubles tournament among our friends. It was so much fun! It went on for about three weeks, and I think we had 12 pairs of players participate. Last Friday, we had our championship game and preppy outfit contest. We didn't get a huge crowd, but those who came had a great time and overall, the tournament was a success.



This is a picture of those of us who dressed up preppy. Matt, the third from the left, was definitely our winner, with the pink polo, braided belt, khaki shorts, blue vest, gelled hair, and Izod sweater draped over his shoulders.



The final match!



This is from our promotional flier. :-) I was trying to replicate the pictures on the ads of retirement communities, which always seem to have a couple with linked arms, laughing, holding a tennis racquet.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Lauren you're so funny! What a great idea! Looks like you had fun too!

Digital Daguerreotypist said...

I preface this with I'm definitely being a smart aleck, but your preppy dressed winner - isn't he also third from the right??? :P