Wednesday, September 10, 2008

24 Hours in Door County

One of the highlights of my 3-week trip to Wisconsin was a short trip to Door County, WI, with my parents. Door County is the "thumb" part of Wisconsin on the map. (They say Wisconsin looks like a hand...) It's so beautiful up there! I hadn't gone since early high school, so I was glad to have the chance to hang out up there for a day/night. During the summer, this part of the state is very busy with tourists, but we went 2 days after Labor Day, so it was very quiet! Perfect.


The view of Lake Michigan from outside of the Square Rigger Lodge in Jacksonport, WI. 


There were butterflies fluttering all along the shore. I tried to get a picture of one in flight but it didn't work out--they're too fast! I kept following this particular one and he kept flying away from me. I think he was getting pretty annoyed. :-) After this shot, I let him be. Sorry little guy!



Going for a walk along the beach. 



We ate dinner here--at Al Johnson's. It's a Swedish restaurant that's been around for 59 years, and it's very popular! The goats grazing on the roof is definitely one unique reason why everyone comes here.



The three of us at dinner!


Mmm... Swedish meatballs! 


A peek at the Swedish-themed gift shop that's attached to the restaurant.


Mom and I gave the little gnome/troll a kiss on the way out!

The harbor was really pretty... it was fun reading all the names of the boats (one was called "Uff Da," hehe.), watching the sunset, and just enjoying the beautiful weather!


After dinner, we hit up the drive-in and saw "Hancock." The drive-in felt very fifties-ish, complete with Elvis music playing in the background before the show!


Mom and I had fun on the swings while we waited for the sun to set--that's when the show started.


The next morning the sky looked stormier, but I think it looked beautiful! I'm glad the day before was nice weather though, so we could enjoy being outside!

All in all, it was a success and I hope it's not another 10 years before I go back to Door County!




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a blast, Lauren! I wish I could have been there to see those goats! how cool is that! I also wanted to add that you are a very good photographer... not something I knew about you! You've got talent, girl! I love the stormy pic at the end.

Amie Anne said...

Hi Lauren! Door County looks beautiful. I didn't even know you were in WI!Those are really great pictures too!!

Jessica said...

One of my dream vacations before we move away from Wisconsin!