Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Job-Hunting.

I am officially unemployed. That's such an unflattering term but it's true. The word seems to suggest that I am not whole or complete without a job. I suppose that's true to some extent--but I'm trying to suppress the anxiety that comes from feeling like an unproductive member of society. I'm trying to find one, kids! My ticket out is not yet here, so until then, I am trying to see the temporary advantages of this extra time.

I just completed my undergraduate degree, and the reality of post-grad life has quickly settled in. There is no easy path laid out for us graduates, and that is both reassuring and disconcerting. I'm glad that it's up to me, and yet, I wish someone would just sweep in and answer the quandary I find myself in: What kind of job should I seek/take? Is this job good enough, or should I wait for a better one? Should I focus more on place or job? Should I take the first job that I'm offered that's half-way decent?

I'm rolling around all of these thoughts in my head, and hopefully, they're helping me to make a decision. I don't want to jump onto the fear train and get a low-skilled, low-paying job, just because something hasn't been offered in the first week. And also I don't want to turn down multiple job offers because they aren't fitting my abstract definition of the "perfect" first job.

I know there probably isn't a perfect first job (for the majority of us out there). And let's face it, most of us will change jobs several times during our careers. So, how do we wade through these uncertain waters? Prayer is definitely helping, but I also know that I need to put forth my full efforts to make the best possible job opportunity happen.

In the meantime, as I do this, I find myself with a little (or a lot of) extra time. There's more time to blog, to take a walk in nature, to browse at Barnes and Noble, and to think about where I want my life to go. I'm trying to enjoy this time without falling into a trap of complacency. I'm grateful for it though, since I've felt the lack of free time that came during the last part of college. This last summer, I had a part-time custodial job, a part-time writing internship, and a full load of summer classes. I'm glad to be temporarily rid of the constant, looming cloud of schoolwork.

We'll see how this lasts. I might get a temp job if this process takes longer than a couple of more weeks so that I don't go crazy with the boredom (and so I don't end up living in a box. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy, so a job is also a necessity). Until then, I'll enjoy the quiet moments I've been given. You might see a few more blog posts than normal, and my room might look abnormally clean. :-)

2 comments:

Leslie Jacobs said...

Good luck finding a job. I got lucky when the Boise Art Museum hired me. It was a really fun job while it lasted. Now my days are spent playing with a one-year-old. That's a lot of fun too. I'm pretty lucky, and I hope lady luck reaches out to you and places that perfect career opportunity in your lap. It'll be a job that's satisfying, fun, challenging enough to be rewarding, and will pay you the big bucks!! Such big bucks that next time we take a girl's trip to New York you'll say, "The ENTIRE trip is on me ladies, I'll fly you out on my private jet and we'll stay in my pent house suite." :) It could happen!! I'll cross my fingers that it will!! I can't wait for you to find that perfect job!

Jessica said...

Oh Laur! I so feel your pain. I think all the same things as I see graduation coming near. I haven't interviewed for a job since I was like 17 (I kept that job until I got into graduate school). So scary and overwhelming to think about, Are we really adults already?