Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Language and Embarrassing Moments

My heels are healing nicely... so sorry if I sounded bitter in the "Pies de Sangre" entry. It just wasn't the most pleasant experience. However, afterwards, it was more funny than anything, and I feel its important to document the positive and negative exeriences of being here, because that's more realistic. Things overall, though, are WAY more positive than negative. I'm so glad I decided to study abroad.

A quick story. So, the other night Sara and Justin (both people from my program) and I went to eat tapas at this place close to where we live. We went up to the bar, and I asked a question in what I thought was clear and slow Spanish (I'm trying to speak clear, even if I can't speak fast). The lady looked confused, and told me she had an English menu that might help me. The question wasn't really that important, so I just ordered some tortilla espaƱola. She looked confused again, and then handed me a German menu. Luckily, a guy at the bar, who spoke English well, helped me order, and we all had a good laugh.

I was a little embarrassed, but oh well. One frustrating thing about trying to speak a foreign language is that people sometimes just resort to speaking in English to me or handing me over to someone who does. Although sometimes that is a good thing (if I really need something specific), it is a bit of a blow to the ol' ego. I know my Spanish isn't great, but I guess it's harder than I think sometimes to actually communicate clearly and understandibly to natives.

The language is improving though... the first few days, I felt pretty overwhelmed with myself, realizing my Spanish is RUSTY. However, hearing it at school and at home has helped me to remember some of the grammar/vocab that was somewhere in the back of my brain. I'm getting used to just having to be a little embarrassed sometimes... I guess you never learn otherwise. I'll be an expert at embarrassment by the end of the semester I'm sure!

Hasta luego. :-)

No comments: