Thursday, September 28, 2006

Pancake Breakfast

Yesterday, school sponsored a pancake breakfast fundraiser to raise money for a needy student who wants to come to SLU. Of course, the American students, upon hearing about a full-out American breakfast (which is not really existent in Spain), were flocking to the snack bar between 10 A.M-2 P.M. to get some orange juice, pancakes (chocolate chip!), bacon, and eggs. Sadly, the power kept shutting off (I think they were overloading the circuits), so one pancake took about 3 times as long as normal... but the wait only made it taste that much better! I must say, it was one of the best breakfast meals I've ever had in my life, and I think it was not only because it tasted good, but because it's been so long since I've had a "home-cooked" breakfast.

I remember that I went through a phase at BYU where I would cook up some pancakes (the add-water only kind) whenever I was out of food or couldn't think of anything better to make. Considering that you only added water to the mix... they were surprisingly good!

Though I miss the American breakfast, I enjoy my breakfasts here as well. Alicia stocks the kitchen with plenty of fruit and pan de leche. Pan de leche is this amazing soft, slightly sweetened loaf of bread. It is SO good! So, I'm glad to have that every day. And to be honest, as much as I love pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc., I sometimes feel sick if I eat too much heavy breakfast food. But luckily at this moment, eating my chocolate-chip pancakes in the courtyard at school, I didn't have a care in the world.

Back to studying for midterms. :-)

1 comment:

ANJ said...

i made pancakes last saturday for breakfast! nothing that comforts like a good ol american breakfast :)