Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Don't Run Down the Stairs of the Metro...

Madrid Lesson #84: Embarrassing Moments Know No Cultural or Language Barriers.

Today, I was on my way to visit Claudine, my French friend who lives in a nursing home (I'll tell you more about her sometime soon...) when I had my first significant clumsy in Spain moment. Now, I've fallen on stairs before... like on the steps at the Tanner building at BYU, where the echo of a pin dropping magnifies to the sound of a drum (which means my fall on the stairs sounding something like a roll of thunder)... but I've managed to avoid tripping/falling/etc. for a long time...

As I trotted down the stairs, confidently moving to the Circle Line in the Metro, my shoes slipped on the stairs and all of a sudden it was.... thud thud thud thud... and I was lying on the stairs... hehe. A nice lady exclaimed "Oh, Nina!" I tried to assure her I was fine (and I was) "Estoy bien." But she nicely doubled checked and gave me and arm to get up. Luckily, not many others witnessed the sight... but needless to say, I think I'll be taking those stairs with a little more care in the future.

No comments: