Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sometimes, Viajar-ing is Intense

Wow. Today was INTENSE. It was one of those days when you realize that traveling is not always a piece of cake. I started the day by going to Immanuel Baptist Church to see my SLU friend Amanda sing in the choir. Then, I had to duck out early to meet Chey, another SLU friend. Chey and I decided to grab one last churro and then I went to help see her off at the airport!

Let's just say we got a workout. Chey lived in a building where Cervantes lived! Yes, this was where he wrote Don Quixote, and Chey was lucky enough to be placed with a lady who lives here! After she bid goodbye to her family, we lugged her HEAVY suitcase down the ancient wooden stairs. Then, we walked to a metro, went up and down stairs with the luggage, switched at two stations... then, when we finally got to Barajas Airport, we had to catch a bus to the other terminal! The handle broke on the suitcase... it was that heavy! Then, when Chey checked in, they said her luggage was too heavy. I must say, I don't understand why the weight limits are so incredibly strict. They told us you can have two checked bags with up to 32 kilos each. Chey had one bag that was 44 kilos, and one that was 12. But, no, you have to have each one under 32... arg. We spent about 45 minutes re-arranging her luggage and she ended up having to check a third bag, which costs extra of course :-( Sheesh, we were so exhausted and sweaty by the end of it! Later today, I packed my suitcases too, and they are HEAVY! I will probably need to throw more out, or I'll have to deal with the same situation as Chey did...


Chey saying goodbye to her house! That's a plaque above the door signifying that Cervantes lived here.


Here I am with the broken handle from the suitcase. I decided we could use it for an antennae. The British Airways guy was a little confused as to what it was I was holding...



Here are Chey and I, completely exhausted after all of it! I'm just glad she didn't have to go through that all by herself, that would have been a nightmare. So, I sent her off and came home and took a nap!!

So, today, I have taken 4 Metro rides, 2 bus rides, and 1 taxi, and I'm taking a taxi in about 15 minutes to go to my friend Heidi's house with all my stuff! This is it, I'm leaving Alicia's house today and spending the last couple days with Heidi in her piso in Madrid.

Anyhow, just had to share my crazy day with you all! Hopefully, mine will go smoothly on Wednesday when I fly home. Don't know if I'll get on here before then, so next time I write, it'll probably be from home!!

1 comment:

ANJ said...

i was paranoid about having overweight bags at the airport too... although once i got there i was lucky enough to meet a really nice detla woman who let it slide, even though one of my bags was 36 kilos.

my trauma happened when they confiscated the manjar (dulce de leche) i was bringing home for my family from my carry-on. bug!

you home for christmas yet?