Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Hasta luego, Spain!


Here's Claudine, the French lady who I visited all semester. She's great! She's lived in France, Spain, Germany, the U.S... and she can go back and forth between languages so quickly! I had to say goodbye the other day, which was sad, but I'm glad I got a picture to remember her by! Plus, with Skype, I'm hoping to call her to see how she's doing!


Here I am, with my luggage, about to leave Spain! Actually, I didn't leave. Intense fog in London caused me to be rerouted to a direct flight to Chicago through Iberia (even better... a direct flight!). However, that flight got overbooked, so Iberia offered me 600 Euros in cash, a 4 star hotel for the night, another direct flight to Chicago, and food... wow! I decided to take them up on it, and I must say, it was pretty cool to see the customer service lady bust out the 200 Euro bill. I didn't know those existed! A nice way to get a little money back after all the spending that comes with a semester abroad! I'm writing this blog from my hotel...luckily I had my laptop bag (my luggage stayed at the airport) so I could take advantage of the free wireless internet.


I stayed with Heidi, a fellow American study-abroader, for my last few days. My last night (well, my original last night), we walked around and did one last walking tour of Madrid! It was QUITE chilly, but the Christmas lights were beautiful and it was a great way to end the day. We stopped at Starbuck's for some hot chocolate (ok, not very Spanish-like, but it was SO cold...we needed something to warm up with!).



Here is the Puerta del Toledo, which looked especially cool with the lights they put on it! I will miss the monuments in the city... this was built I think as an "entrance" into Madrid by one of the kings.

Madrid, I'll miss you! Hopefully, I'll make it back before I'm 80, but until I can make it back, I'm glad I took lots of pictures my last few days! :-) See you soon!

No comments: