Monday, September 24, 2007

Can't we all just study quietly?

Ok, so I'm in the library right now, working on some assignments before my Elang 410 class (it's for the editing minor). A couple was sitting next to me in the adjoining computer, and it inspired me to write this post.

It is a common sight, all over BYU campus, to see dating/engaged/married couples, gazing lovingly into each other's eyes. I have nothing against this, truly. I am so happy for my friends who have fallen in love... I mean that's what we all hope for in life! But. . . what works on my patience is the constant cuddling, gazing, sighing, giggling, kissing, lovey-dovey talk that surrounds me, even in places like the library. It's not love that I'm annoyed with, it's people's disregard for the others around them. I've talked to engaged couples, and it seems that the common theme is "we so in love that we just don't notice anyone else" or, more honestly, there's an underlying sentiment of "we sometimes just don't care if everyone else watches us." Ah! Being engaged does not give you the right to annoy others... most couples assume that there are so many couples like this around that people should be used to it. Yes, there's some truth to that, but I don't think that's an excuse to ignore the feelings of others, whether they be friends or strangers. Call me old-fashioned or sensitive, but I don't think I'm asking too much.

I don't mean to ban all forms of affection or anything. Hand-holding, arm around, the occasional kiss, etc. is fine. Let's just remember that others are around you when you're in public.

And yes, you can hold me to that standard if/when I get engaged/married someday. :-) And for the record, I do love BYU, even with it's cultural quirks. But, that doesn't mean I can't offer some constructive criticism!

1 comment:

just a little bit mo said...

I'm so with you on this one. I'm happy when I see couples holding hands across campus and enjoying each other's company, but when they're in a place that is meant for studying and quiet . . . they need to respect that. What's worse, to me, is when similar things happen in the temple . . . but that's a different story for a different day!