Saturday, December 22, 2007

I've started a new Christmas tradition...

So, for the second year in a row, on my way home for Christmas I have gotten a free flight out of it. Last year, on my way home from Madrid, they were overbooked and offered me 800 Euro, a free night at a hotel, and free food. Um, yeah! Needless to say, that was a good investment.

This year, I traveled through Phoenix on my way home to Milwaukee. After I got on the flight (from Phoenix to Milwaukee) they announced that they were looking for volunteers (because they were overbooked). Anyone who volunteered would get a free upgrade to first class on a later flight today and would receive a voucher for a free flight anywhere in the continental US and a meal voucher for some food. I'm a sucker for deals I guess--I took it! I guess the idea of a free flight ANYWHERE in the continental US was too good to pass up (I'm a student with limited funds--remember), plus, I love first class (especially on long flights... Phoenix to Milwaukee is nearly 4 hours). I'm not sure where I'll use it yet, but there are plenty of people I could visit!

So, I've been spending the day in the Phoenix airport. The bummer was that my flight was supposed to leave Phoenix at 10 AM and my new flight leaves at 8 PM! So, that's one long day in the airport. Since I haven't gotten much sleep in the past few days with finals and such, I slept basically the whole day here and there on those airport couches, which are surprisingly comfortable! Maybe it's because I'm sleep-deprived.

Other funny things that have happened... a little girl peed on her seat on my first flight this morning (I'm sorry, it was hilarious as she announced to the people in the row in front of us "I peed on myself" and they offered their condolences. I felt bad for the dad though).

Also, I saw a guy from my high school on the second flight (the one I boarded and then immediately got off of... since I took the upgrade). He graduated a year before me and I didn't know him too well, but he remembered me and was so nice! It was a fun, random coincidence.

My brother is also stuck in transit to Milwaukee... his connecting flight got canceled and he's spending the night in Cincinnati. Hopefully we'll make it home!

Merry early Christmas!

P.S. Any ideas on where I should use my free ticket? I can use it anywhere except Hawaii and Alaska. :-)

5 comments:

ANJ said...

come to dc! please!

AND... can you please tell brother that next time he sleeps over in cincinnati, he should come to my house!

austin said...

I say Maine. I don't think people get up to that corner very often.

Digital Daguerreotypist said...

someplace you haven't been before is my vote

Stefers511 said...

come to san fran!

Unprofessional Chef said...

I also vote DC! I'll be back there in a month and you should definitely come back