Monday, May 19, 2008

BYU Graduation

At the end of April, I walked in the graduation ceremony! I am officially graduating in August, but I decided to walk in April since both of my roommates and many of my friends in my major/minor were walking at the time. I'm glad I did! 

Mom, Dad, and Sam all flew in for the weekend, and we partied it up! We also got together with my aunts and cousins and ate at PF Chang's together (yum--lettuce wraps!) and then they came to my convocation. 

It was a bit anti-climatic to go back to class the next week, but I'm realizing more than ever that I'm almost (finally!) at the end of undergrad. It's been 5 years of school and 7 years total (since I worked for two years). It's exciting to finally see the end in sight.


Mom and I!


With my empty diploma cover! Ha, won't be getting the real thing for a little while still :-)



My roommates--Diana and Kara--also graduated! Diana got her masters and bachelors degree in Accounting and Kara got her bachelors in Public Health. Yay for us!




Dinner with my brother and parents at Ottavio's.


Riding the cougar!

I will be graduating with a B.A. in English Literature and minors in Editing and Psychology. What will I do? Well, I'm hoping to eventually go to grad school in counseling or some sort of human service field. So, I'm planning on working for a year or two while I figure out what type of program to apply to and in order to get more experience and better credentials. I'd like to work either as a research assistant (at a university, preferably) or as an assistant in some sort of clinic (a residential treatment center, perhaps). 

So, I'm looking ahead and beginning to see jobs that I'd like to apply to. As for where I'll be, that's pretty up in the air still. I'm looking heavily at Washington DC. Other possibilities are possibly Utah (there are lots of treatment centers here!), Wisconsin, Arizona, Seattle, Boston, or California. So, basically, I have no idea! But, right now, DC is looking pretty appealing, since I really like the area, my brother is out there, and I have some friends there.

Anyhow, I will keep you posted! In the meantime, I'll be enjoying one last summer as a student at BYU! :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats, Lauren! Whoot Whoot! Ya did it! :)

I vote for D.C. Not that my vote even matters, but hey, D.C. is close to us (sort of) and maybe we'd be able to pull off a visit!

random question...I have completely lost track of my MTC mission companion. the one from Wisconsin. I know you met her once at some volleyball thing (I think her family is in your family's stake) and I was wondering if you could ask her folks for her contact info somehow. Her maiden name is Janet Lundberg. She is married now with the last name of Schow. I know this is random... and if you have no idea how to contact her family, I'll understand. I'm just desperate here. I've tried everything to find her.

sallysue said...

Congrats Lauren. Much luck to you in deciding what to do next (and with classes this summer.)

heidi.

ANJ said...

DC! DC! DC!

i hope sam told you my roommate is getting married and i'm saving the bedroom for you WHEN you move here at the end of august!

eh??