Thursday, May 15, 2008

War wounds...

Warning: Content below may be disturbing to the weak of stomach.

So, I'm not new to injuries--I've played sports for a long time. But, I haven't had a skinned knee quite like this, perhaps, ever. Our ward has a co-ed intramural soccer team, which I eagerly joined. We play on BYU's turf fields, which for turf, are quite good. But... you CAN'T slide or this (see below) will happen. The bruise on the right knee was already there from playing soccer last Saturday, but the one of the left was all today. 


Notice how the kneecap on the left is about twice the size of the one on the right! Ouch. I was able to finish the game, which was good (although we tied, sad). Anyhow, I think I've learned my lesson--no sliding!

I got some nice comments from the teammates/people watching us though--"Wow, that's sacrifice" or also "Wow, look at your knee! Does that hurt?" 

My response should have been, "As Jack Black says, No you're not hardcore, unless you live hardcore." Haha. I'm not really that hardcore, but I can pretend, right? Too bad living hardcore means having weird-looking knees for a while!

(P.S. Once I cleaned it up, I didn't have a big bandage, so I applied a web of about 10 smaller bandages to cover it. It looked pretty crazy.)

Perhaps this is more than you ever wanted to know. If that is the case, I apologize for grossing you out! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Lauren. Ya know that guys dig sports scars, though, right? You've got braggin rights now! I would always wear shorts to school (in HS) the day after a game or a brutal practice so that I could show off all my bruises! I love em! (not the pain, just the glory!)

Anonymous said...

Holy Death Knees!!!

That's what you get for playing sports... But at least you appropriately quoted School of Rock in all of it's awesomeness!