Sunday, June 29, 2008

California--A Land of Contrasts


Los Angeles

The coast near San Francisco

Lately, the topic of "California" has emerged in my thoughts and in my conversations with friends and family. This state seems to invoke within my acquaintances both great pride and great annoyance. Beautiful coastlines. Technology. Bad LA traffic. The pulse of pop culture and Hollywood. Lots of people. A laid-back lifestyle (at least in Southern California). Surfing. Crime. A governator. Expensive cost of living. A wide range of incomes and lifestyles. A greater emphasis on materialism. A mix of cultures. And, one of the places I've been looking at jobs.

I have limited experience with the state. I've been to Disneyland with my family (in 5th grade). I went to San Diego with my high school orchestra. I went to Murrieta two summers ago for my best friend's wedding. Last summer, I drove through CA on the way to Mexico and spent a night camping in Barstow. But really, I haven't gotten to know the state very well.

My parents were married in the Berkeley area and spent their honeymoon traveling up the California coast. I have a great uncle in San Diego. I have many friends there as well. In fact, some of you blog readers have lived or currently live there.

So, here comes my question. What do you think of California? It's pretty impossible to paint a one dimensional picture of this massive state. There are definitely things I like about it: good weather, the ocean, lots of job opportunities, a decent young single LDS population, the diversity, etc. However, the masses of people, the high cost of living, the complaints that there is a large emphasis on materialism, and complaints I've heard that some Californians have a California-is-the-center-of-the-world complex, make me a bit wary.

I've always been a bit drawn to this state. Perhaps it's my love of the ocean, inspired by a family trip to Mexico in 4th grade. Or, it might originate in the many movies or tv shows (think "Saved by the Bell") that I watched as a kid. It just seemed like a more interesting place than Wisconsin. 

I wonder, however, if real acquaintance would draw me in or turn me off? It's hard to say. The older I get, the more I've come to appreciate my Midwestern roots. Bad weather, good people. But, there's something real and humbling about growing up in a place that isn't everyone's destination. Vagabonds, hippies, and crooners never sang, "I left my heart in Milwaukee..." But in a way, I have. I really do think Wisconsin is a beautiful place. It definitely has drawbacks, but I'm glad I grew up there.

Despite my hesitations, I've realized in my travels that good people are everywhere. Culture may be regional, and I'm not sure how to categorize California culture, but you can find good people all over. I know Wisconsin, I know Utah, and I sort of know Spain, but California is still a mystery to me. What draws so many people there? Or me?

Anyhow, I'd love to know your thoughts/opinions. I'm looking at jobs in a lot of places, and I'm looking especially at DC, but California does have a lot of jobs, so it's on my list of options as well. What do you like about this state? What do you not like? Is there much truth in the stereotypes? Do happy cows really come from California? (I still think they come from Wisconsin)  :-)

4 comments:

Jared said...

Hmm. As a native Californian who hasn't actually spent more than a month at a time there in about 12 years now I have mixed feelings. I grew up in the Bay Area and thought it was a great place. Lots of people, lots of things to do (which I never really took advantage of), both close to a cosmopolitan center as well as great natural beauty.
With that said, whenever I go back I'm always overwhelmed by how big, crowded, and materialistic it seems. There are countless strip malls everywhere, and everyone always seems to be in a hurry. The high cost of living didn't really phase me as a kid, but now that I'm responsible for paying for things that is definitely a big draw back.

Honestly, the only big draw that Cali has for me is that all of my family (parents, aunts, uncles, cousins...just about everyone) is still there. True, my parents are now in the rural foothills of the Sierras, and everyone else is in the suburbs of Sacramento which has different feel than the Bay Area, but if they weren't there I don't think I'd really consider California too seriously.

I think it all comes down to what you said in your post: there are good people everywhere. I've loved all the places that I've lived recently (New York, Provo, Northern Virgina, and no Milwaukee). They all have their pluses and minuses, but I think that wherever you end up you'll make yourself happy no matter what the environmnet.

Anonymous said...

California is lame... And I totally am commenting from your little ol' MacBook... So cute!

Nathan & Allison said...

you have a blog! I was looking at 'tennis' pictures (so funny) on your facebook and saw the link! Anyway, I couldn't help but read your California post (I too have California pride) and would simply say, southern California is a great place if you want to find a good singles ward with a lot of fun activities. That's what I hear anyway. And sure, some of those stereotypes are true for some folks, but there are plenty of nice girls and boys there. Besides, the Larson girls would love it if when they went home you were there :) As for the Bay area, I haven't a clue but have always wanted to live around Berkeley (they have a great sociology department), so I'd be jealous if you ended up there. Love ya girl!


P.S.- Thanks for not calling it Cali. I appreciate that.

Diana said...

I lived in California for 5 years, and grew to love it. CA is a big place and there's a lot of diversity. Sacramento isn't that expensive to live in, so it's not all like LA or San Francisco. For example, I think your midwestern values would find similar people if you lived in the more rural areas. Lake Tahoe, CA is one of the prettiest places on earth. I think you'd like California, because you are friendly and would get along with people. I don't think CA is more materialistic than the US in general. I've tried to be unbiased in my assessment, BUT I WANT YOU TO COME TO D.C.!!!