Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gone hunting...job-hunting.

Ok--another post on job-hunting. I promise this will be the last one for a while. However, with this being my main endeavor right now, it's just on the brain a bit. As I interview, fill out application after application, take surveys, etc., I'm learning a lot about the hiring process.

First, I've learned that it's nice not to have a criminal background. That question is certainly on every application I've filled out. Being hired as a ex-convict would be a big challenge. Not to mention it would require a lot of explaining on all of these applications.

Second, most applications (especially for retail positions... I'm applying for holiday retail jobs, among others) are insufficient to really capture a job candidate's personality and history. The employers attempt, through surveys and questionnaires, to get a feel for these things, but it's pretty easy to see through the questions. I can imagine many people fall prey to what social psychologists call "social desirability bias." This means that you answer questions based on what you think is the socially-acceptable answer. I really don't think these surveys are effective in sorting out anything but grossly under-qualified candidates. In terms of job history, there is sometimes no space or little space to explain things like why you left a job, how you got paid (if it wasn't hourly), etc. These things make filling out applications frustrating!

Third, are these extensive applications really necessary for SEASONAL positions? Kohl's and Barnes and Noble did the best job of having a short-and-sweet application. Kudos to you, Kohl's and B&N, for keeping my life a little simpler.

I almost wanted to outline my suggestions and send them to the HR departments to help them design a better application. Maybe there's a future career for me? :-) I do like the idea of improving and streamlining this tiring and somewhat frustrating process.

Ok, hopefully that wasn't a downer. It's not all bad--not even close. I realize the stores need to keep out workers who would steal, not show up, or otherwise not be able to complete the job. But, can't I just walk in and say, "Look. I'm not trying to be rude or pretentious, but I'm a college grad who just needs a holiday job for a couple of months. I know I am capable for this job. Can you hire me, please?" That'd be a lot easier :-)

And, I do have two interviews tomorrow (with Kohl's and Target). The payoff is finally coming through! Once I find a seasonal job, though, I need to stay focused on the long-term job hunt. Alas, it's not over for a while. But all of this will sure make me better appreciate having a job! :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ha ha! Loved your thoughts on the ridiculous applications... I know what you mean. If being a college grad who can smile and carry on normal human communication doesn't qualify you to ring up clothes at the cash register, organize purses and scarves, or stick price tag stickers on musical moving Christmas lawn decorations, then SERIOUSLY-- aren't we ALL in trouble?

Unknown said...

On behalf of PNC Bank, I want to say congrats on your recent graduation! This will be the first of many new experiences, from entering the job market to taking on the day to day financial responsibilities of life, and PNC understands this is both exciting and stressful. As you make financial decisions both big and small, PNC wants to help you get a better handle on your money so you can get what you want and what you need. That’s why PNC now offers Virtual Wallet (www.pncvirtualwallet.com). It’s the new money management tool that gives you a high definition online view of your money. Take a look and let me know what you think. I would love hearing what you have to say about the Money Bar (feature can be changed out). Again, PNC congratulates you (user’s name) in this exciting new time of your life!
Written on behalf of PNC Bank, Member FDIC