Thursday, August 24, 2006

I'm in Spain!

I'm here! I don't have much time to write details, but that will come later... I am leaving in about a half hour to an orientation trip to Andalucia... we're going horseback riding, to a castle and hiking in a national park... should be a lot of fun!

So far, I've spent one night at my new home... my "señora" is very nice and helpful, and I think we're going to have a great time! She only speaks Spanish with us, which will be great practice. She has grandkids who apparently come to visit (we had dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets for dinner last night, which I'm guessing are a grandkid favorite), and her 30-something year-old son also lives with us. I haven't met him yet, but my roommate Sarah says he is very friendly. He works running a ceramics shop, so Señora says he's gone a lot.

Sarah is my roommate - she goes to SLU in Saint Louis and is a visiting student for the fall too... she's fun and I think we'll get along well... she reminds me of my old BYU roommate Stacy, and even has very blonde hair like Stace, so Stacedog, you have twin over here in Madrid!

Our room is small, but functional - it has good storage space, so all of our stuff has a place, and two beds, two night-stands with lamps, a table with two chairs for studying... a shoe rack... drawers and shelves... I'm hoping I'll be able to find a spot to move the tables and do pilates, since I brought my mat :-) It's not that I'm all hardcore about pilates, but I thought that'd be a good way to exercise, given I'm living in the middle of a city. The school has a lot of sports clubs too... including soccer, so I definitely want to get into that.

My flight through London was good, except the long lines for security... what a pain. I could only bring my laptop case on the flight, even my backpack had to be checked.

Well, I'll write more soon... there's so much happening already! Have a good weekend ya'll. Hasta luego! (My señora says everyone says that here... I guess saying 'buenas noches' last night when she left for a walk was weird or something, hehe)

No comments: