Saturday, August 05, 2006

On Being 24

Now, that I've been 24 for nearly a whole day, I guess I should be an expert now. Ok, maybe not. Seriously, when I see those two numbers next to each other, it's hard to believe they refer to my own age. Seriously, I mean wasn't I just 16 like yesterday? I know life moves fast, but it always takes me a month or so after the acquiring of these new age numbers to get used to it.

I think 24 will be a good age - I think any age is a good age. I'm not sure why we all get sad to get older... and I know nearly all of us (including me) feel like this sometimes, if not a little upon every birthday. I must say though, I think part of the fun of being young is knowing that your life has SO much ahead - big possibilities. However, that doesn't really change with age, though as we pick careers, spouses, houses, etc., it may seem so. In fact, we're just getting closer to the opening of the biggest possibilities of all... those which we have a infantile comprehension of... our lives after this earthly existence.

Maybe another reason for the longing for youth is that as we age, we often look back and wonder what might have been... we look at our regrets and cringe at our mistakes. Unfortunately, we can't change this fact... living longer, we see more pain, mistakes, even regret... all the more reason to do our best to live our lives well, so that we can minimize this process.

We don't have to be captive to our regrets however, as long as we change and learn from them. Life isn't meant to be a chain and a whip, with this increased living, we also increase our wisdom, our appreciation for the simple things, our love for those who matter to us, and understand who we really are. If we live it right, these good things infinitely trump the troubles of life... making them seem weak in comparison. Only with time can we see our real potential and develop it. I think that brings some of the greatest satisfaction in life - our potential in terms of talent, relationships, etc.

So, enjoy your age, my friends, and a slice of birthday cake. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your right we should be happy with our age and live life to the fullest each and every day.