Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Soul Music

The new India.Arie album rocks (Testimony: Vol. 1 Life & Relationship). I just downloaded it off of Itunes after hearing some good stuff about it. So good! I like it cause it's got the nice soul feel to it, but it's not too slow and it's chill enough to use as background music.

I've been on a soul music kick lately. Late at night, infomercials for soul collections seem to be en vogue, and I can't deny, I liked almost all the songs, even the ones that remind me of listening to the light music station in the doctor's office.

My roommate jokes about my new love for slower R&B, since I'm this suburban-bred white girl listening to R&B from the 70s. It just seems a little random to her I guess. I'm talking Anthony Hamilton, Al Green, the Temptations, etc. I think I like it cause it has a good beat and good vocals, but it's not all fast and rappy-like. I don't mind hip hop, I like some of it, but I hate how every song now seems to be about sex or whatever. So, soul music has become my new good friend.

I do chuckle occasionally during the soul collection informercials though.... some of the outfits, lyrics, choreographed dances from when these hits were big are just funny. The 70s were an interesting time, to say the least. One of the best titles for a song on one of the informercials last night was "Betcha, By Golly, Wow" by the Stylistics. I think the comical value is self-explanatory.

I still get a bit annoyed at some of that elevator slow-rock pop stuff.... but I've noticed that I have more tolerance now for slower music, including oldies. However, I tend to think that soul music oldies are much better than the disco pop junk that people loved back then. Once in a while though, "Brick House" does make me want to get up and dance. I just have to be in the mood. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES, none of that 'white ppl's' jazz!! gimme al green and louis armstrong anyday over enya!!

and if you want to borrow those other cd's you were talking about just let me know....