Saturday, January 13, 2007

"Wax on... Wax off"

So, last night a bunch of us watched the Karate Kid Part I at my apartment. I bought the DVD in a truck stop in Iowa on the drive out to BYU. Already, it has proven much worth the $10 I paid for the "Special Edition" DVD. I watched it on my laptop in the car-ride and narrated to my parents in the front as we drove through Wyoming. Then, last night, after watching BYU Men's volleyball crush UCLA (ranked #3), we were talking at Denny's about our favorite movies. Naturally, this led to our watching of the 80's classic at my house.

It was pretty funny... a random group of BYUer's, who didn't all know each other, all brought together by Mr. Miyagi. We watched and cheered, even though we all knew exactly what would happen. Seriously, how can you not love a movie about a scrawny underdog with limited karate skills kicking the trash out of a jerky apprentice of a scary Sensei?

A few of our favorite moments:

"Hey, it's the 80's!" This is when Daniel lets Alli drive his new car that Mr. Miyagi gave him on his 16th birthday. When Alli is surprised that Daniel wants her to drive, he offers this classic line.

"Get him a body bag!" This line is shouted out by one of the Cobras when Jonny strikes Daniel in the leg, an illegal move that practically takes him out. The look on the Cobra kid's face is pretty awful acting, but it is a hilarious line.

"This is karate, not a knitting class. You don't come in to my dojo and drop a challenge and leave, Old Man." This is the mean sensei talking to Mr. Miyagi when Miyagi tries to get the Cobras to leave Daniel alone and not resort to fighting. Mean Sensei is just plain scary.

"Wax on...wax off." Only Mr. Miyagi is able to combine chores with karate lessons. He is a multi-tasker.

Well, watching old classics is never dull, and if you ever have a bad day, just bust out the Karate Kid, and you'll finish with "You're the best around" inspiring you to face the Jonnys of the world.

1 comment:

Jared said...

Darn you! I was avoiding finding out about the volleyball match so when I watched it on TVo I would be in suspense. Oh well, at least I know to look for you in the crowd. Sounds like a great Provo weekend.